Despite previous complaints and subsequent meetings with City, police, and Venture Richmond, Oregon Hill is still experiencing some issues with illegal parking during the annual Dominion RiverRock festival.
The problems are most evident around Riverside Park and the southern portions of the neighborhood. The City acquired the land which became Riverside Park in 1889. Neighbors don’t want historic Riverside Park to become a de facto parking lot the way Monroe Park was before being privatized.
Photo from 1980’s courtesy of William Pickett
Among many, many other things happening this weekend, there is this:
The Monument Avenue 10K will begin Saturday morning, and an estimated 40,000 participants will take to city streets. Numerous road closures and “No Parking” zones will be in effect as a result.
Here’s a historic photo to warm you up this winter day.
Elite athletes chugging warm beers in the Monroe Park cruiser race. They had to chug a beer, do a lap or two, chug another beer, repeat until the beer is gone.
Photo and description from William Pickett.
From FaceBook event page:
our tradition continues! Bring dark and light shirts. THIS IS A FRIENDLY GAME. ALL EXPERIENCE LEVELS ARE WELCOME!
980 Idlewood Avenue, 9:30 – noon TODAY
The Times Dispatch has posted a quick guide to street closures for Saturday’s Anthem Richmond Marathon, American Family Fitness Half Marathon & VCU Health 8k.
The intersection of 5th & Tredegar Street will be closed starting at 10 a.m. on Friday for Finish Line set up and construction.
– 5th Street will be closed from Broad Street to Tredegar Street from 4 a.m.-4 p.m.
– Broad Street (both eastbound and westbound) between 5th and 11th streets will be closed to traffic from 4-10 a.m. Westbound traffic will be detoured north onto 11th Street and west on Leigh Street.
– Broad Street (both eastbound and westbound) between 5th Street and N. Boulevard will be closed from 6-9 a.m. Eastbound traffic will be detoured north on Sheppard Street, east on Marshall Street, north on the Boulevard, east on Leigh Street, south on 10th Street, east on Marshall Street, south on 12th Street back to Broad Street.
– Grace Street from Allen Ave. to 6th Street will be closed from 4 a.m.-3 p.m.
– Semmes Avenue westbound from Cowardin Avenue to Roanoke Street will be closed from 8:30 a.m.-Noon.
– Belvidere Street northbound at Grace Street will be closed from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. The recommended detour will be east on Byrd Street to the Downtown Expressway eastbound to I-95 northbound.
– West Main Street, from Belvidere to Boulevard will be closed from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Westbound traffic Main Street will be detoured North on Belvidere, east on Franklin, and south on 1st Street to the Westbound Downtown Expressway.
– Belvidere Street southbound between Broad and Grace Streets will be closed from 7am to 3pm. The recommended detour for southbound Belvidere Street will be onto I-95 southbound just north of Leigh Street.
– There will also be numerous and frequent lane closures along the Marathon, Half Marathon & 8k routes, including closures on: Broad Street, North Boulevard, Monument Avenue, Grove Avenue, Maple Avenue, Cary Street Road, River Road, Scottview Drive, Forest Hill Avenue, Semmes Avenue, the Lee Bridge, Belvidere Street, West Main Street, Hermitage Road, Fauqier Avenue, Brook Road.
*Motorists are advised to use extreme caution when entering these roadways or making turns across the runners’ paths along these roadways.
Course maps are available on the Richmond Marathon website.
Marathon runners practice in costume on Cherry Street this morning. The Anthem Richmond Marathon is this coming Saturday.
From FaceBook event page:
We are opening up our parish house for all Pokemon Players. Contest and prizes for who can hold the gym the longest. We will have food and drink. We will also drop lures at nearby pokestops! Thursday 1st from 6-9PM
St. Andrew’s Church Parish house is located next to the church on the 200 block of S. Laurel Street.