This Jury’s A Terror To City’s Evil Doers, 1902

From the October 17, 1902 edition of the Richmond Dispatch :

Prisioners in City Jail Seeking Continuences Rather Than Face The Present Composition

The present jury in th Hustings Court is one after the heart of Judge Witt and Commonwealth’s Attorney Richardson. It has gotten such a reputation for giving good long penitentiary terms that all of the prisioners confined in the city jail awaiting trial are seeking to have their cases postponed a month rather than to face it. The prisioners evidently are of the opinion that it would be better to wait another month and save possibly a year or two on Oregon Hill than to be tried during this term of court.

The reference to Oregon Hill is because the state penitentiary used to be here, casting a particular pallor over the whole area. Here is an old picture of it:

2899339626_b52242110c

At least part of the wall still exists as part of Ethyl Corporation/Afton Chemical’s complex on Belvidere.

Richmond History Tours of Hollywood Cemetery

hollypost3

From the Richmond History Center:

Mon.-Sat. (10:00-11:30a) Through October 31st

HIGHLIGHTS OF HOLLYWOOD CEMETERY A walking tour of historic Hollywood Cemetery, final resting place of soldiers, residents and presidents.Meet your guide just beyond the stone building at the cemetery entrance at Cherry and Albemarle streets. $10 (Pay your guide on the day of the tour. ) Members: $5

PLUS THIS WEEKEND:

Oct 11 (2-4pm)

HOLLYWOOD CEMETERY An extension of the daily “Highlights” tour, this version covers in more detail the cemetery’s unique history, landscape design, architecture, symbols and residents.

Meet your guide at the rear of the stone structure at the cemetery entrance at Cherry and Albemarle Streets. $10 (Pay your guide on the day of the tour. ) Members: $5

angelhollywood

1887 Fatal Accident at Tredegar Iron Works

From the Times Dispatch, September 20, 1887,

Charlie Mann, a ten-year-old boy, residing with his parents at 609 High Street, Oregon Hill, and employed at the Tredegar Iron-Works, yesterday met with an accident which it is thought beyond doubt will prove fatal.

About five o’clock in the afternoon he was at work as usual near the machine with which the iron for horse-shoes is bent, when the belt slipped off the pulley by which the machinery is operated. The consequence was that the machine, weighing about 2,000 pounds, fell back, and striking the boy in the left side, mashed his hipbones in, causing internal injuries of the most serious nature.

The city ambulance was summoned and responded quite promptly, with Dr. Irvine in charge. The unfortunate youth was taken home, and Dr. Trevillian and Dr. Irvine dressed his wounds. Circumstances were such that the family physician could not attend, and for this reason Dr. Trevillian, resident physician at the almshouse, was called in and assisted in the operation. The boy’s arms and legs were also very badly burned. At midnight the unfortunate’s condition was very serious, and it was not expected that he would live till morning.

Times Dispatch, 1905, Capture Fleeing Convicts.

From the Richmond Times Dispatch, August, 31, 1905:

Clever work on the part of two citizens of Oregon Hill Tuesday afternoon prevented the escape of two convicts from the penitentiary. Lewis Oliver and Erasmus Cooley, both negroes, were with a gang of seven convicts employed in unloading a car at the foot of Sixth Street. Suddenly the two men broke away from the guard and started towards Oregon Hill. Messrs. E.R. Thomas and A.W. Blackburn captured Oliver, and Mr. A. E. Priddy was the man to stop the running of Cooley. The reward for the capture of a convict is $50, and this will be paid to the citizens who made the captures.

A Mad-stone Here

From the Richmond Planet, August 29, 1896:

There is a mad-stone in Richmond and it is claimed that it will prevent hydrophobia. It seems that Henry Hammel, a colored man residing in Henrico County, was bitten by a mad dog, and the stone was secured from its owner Mr. John Fogarty of Oregon Hill for use upon him. It may be seen at the office of the Board of Health, Clerk Aurthor Mayo having charge of it.

The Gospel Wagon

From the Richmond Times Dispatch, August 27, 1901:

Services were held with the Gospel Wagon Sunday afternoon at Oregon Hill, at Eighth and Cary streets, and on Seventh and Franklin streets. They were conducted by Rev. G.F. Williams, who was aided by several speakers and a good company of singers. There were several requests for prayer and two professions of faith.

These newspaper archives have many reviews and announcements like this.

“Dance in A Good Cause”

From the archives of the Times Dispatch:

August 18, 1905, Image 6

Dance in A Good Cause
———————
Dancing will be a most enjoyable feature of an entertainment for the benefit of smallpox sufferers on Oregon Hill, to be given at Forest Hill Park Monday night, August 28th, by Mrs. Alice Meitz. Tickets may be obtained for 50 cents at the residence of Mr. E. T. Davis, No. 507 Belvidere Street, and at Marston’s drug store, on Pine Street.

Dog Days of Summer

An article appeared in the Times Dispatch on August 10, 1902, entitled “Dogs At The Pound And The City Hall; A Curious Reporter Goes Through The Tax Books at Treasurer’s Office And Studies Dog’s Names”.

But in the eyes of the dog catcher all dogs look alike, whether they be the petted spaniels and pugs of Franklin street owners to the flop-eared hounds of Oregon Hill.

For experience has taught the man with the net that the tie that binds the master and his dog is a strong one, and that the owner of a worthless cur will go to as much trouble to redeem his captured canine from the dog pound as will the owner of a blooded registered setter.

Some recent events may have prompted the article, like the watchman kicking Mr. Berry’s dog.

It’s Not The First Time That VCU Disregarded Slave History

Sadly, the recent repaving of the parking lot at 15th Street is not the first time that Virginia Commonwealth University has disregarded important African American slave history.

Back in the 1990’s, Richmond activists warned President Trani that it was wrong to tear down the Jacob House in order to make room for the VCU Engineering School. So, to mute protests, he decided to have it moved across the street. There were still concerns that this would ruin the historical integrity of the site since it was considered a probable Underground Railroad site. One man, Alan Schintzius, actually got arrested when he laid in front of the bulldozer. Sure enough, a hidden basement room was discovered after the house was moved. Its gone now, filled in and buried by VCU.

You have to wonder what other Richmond history has been buried.

At least the moved Jacob House survives, for now, at the corner of Cary and Pine.