The Shockoe Examiner blog has a recent, interesting post on the long gone 1886 Marshall Street Meat Market that compares other buildings, including the VCU Cary Street Gym (the 1892 Clay Ward Market, old City Auditorium), and D.C.’s National Building Museum (the 1887 Pension Building).

(Original architectural drawing of Cutshaw’s design for the Marshall Street Meat Market, from the collection of the Library of Virginia.)

(Postcard image of what was then called the City Auditorium, ca. 1910. Now VCU Cary St. Student Recreational Gym)
Category Archives: history
The Women of Hollywood Walking Tour This Saturday
From Valentine Richmond History Center website:
October 25, 2014
Explore the significant role that women’s groups played in Hollywood Cemetery’s history from the Civil War to the present. Stops include gravesites of female residents who led independent lives as educators, authors, preservationists, suffragists, humanitarians or as the power behind the scenes of famous men.
$15 per person
$10 for History Center Members
Walk-ups welcome.
Cash or check, or purchase online.
On-street parking.This tour is presented as part of the Richmond History Tours program, a service of the Valentine Richmond History Center.
“Winnie Davis: Daughter of the Lost Cause”
From Hollywood Cemetery’s FaceBook page:
If you haven’t had a chance to read “Winnie Davis: Daughter of the Lost Cause”, you can buy a copy of the book at our event on Oct. 8th. Author Heath Lee will be talking about the book’s connections to Hollywood Cemetery and signing copies. We hope you’ll attend!
Before Mamma Zu’s and Outer Limits II….A&P
Last week’s post on Outer Limits II prompted neighbor Charles Pool to write:
Hey Scott,
I saw your good posting on the Outer Limits business where Mama Zu’s is now located.The building was first an Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P) grocery store. Attached is an interesting photo of the building when it was an A&P grocery.
Source: Spring Street Home (later Brookfield) fire insurance document
At some point, the building was also a restaurant called Poppa Joe’s Grill.
Camille 1969
Fantastic photos from the Visual & Vintage Virginia FaceBook page:
Richmond, Va- Onlookers gather to watch the raging flood waters of the James River after Hurricane Camille. Near the South end of the Lee bridge. 1969
Richmond, Va- Photo taken from the Lee Bridge. Shows the South bank of the James River and Riverside Drive after Hurricane Camille-1969…
Before Mamma Zu’s…Outer Limits II
Driving Through Hollywood
From Hollywood Cemetery’s FaceBook page:
Although you can drive through the cemetery today, there was a time when automobiles were prohibited in Hollywood Cemetery. In fact, when President Taft visited in 1909 he was initially refused entry because of his motorcade.
Also:
Another fun way to tour Hollywood is by trolley! Our trolley tours take place every Sunday at 2pm and last approximately 2 hours.
Street Center Remembered
From Josephine Ensign’s blog, “Medical Margins”:
The Street Center was thick-walled and cavernous. It was located in the armpit of town, on the border between Monroe Ward, Gamble’s Hill, and Oregon Hill near the James River. Built on land that had been the old city dump, the building had been a gas meter repair shop for the city as well as a storage unit for abandoned bicycles. The city donated the building as a way to appease the downtown merchants who wanted to get the street people—the visible homeless—away from their struggling businesses. Kudzu vines draped over trees and telephone polls; they formed a convenient curtain to block the public’s view of the ugly, forbidding looking building.
The Street Center was located at the corner of Belvidere and Canal Streets, with the main entrance on Canal. The building was flush with the narrow sidewalk. Belvidere Street, a busy four lane divided highway that ran north to south, was part of US Route 301 extending down to Sarasota, Florida, and up to Delaware. Across Belvidere from the Street Center was a 7-11 that sold cigarettes, cheap beer and flavored wine like Boone’s Farm and Thunderbird, all popular with the Street Center clientele. South of the Street Center were the hulking brick buildings of the Virginia Penitentiary, and just to the west was Hollywood Cemetery where a relative of mine—Jefferson Davis—and 20,000 confederate soldiers lay buried. In the block north of our building was a Hostess Twinkie factory. The sweet buttery smell of the factory mingled with the acrid smells of the Street Center: damp oil-stained concrete, souring unwashed bodies, old urine, and cigarette smoke.
When the Street Center opened in April 1986, homelessness was getting extensive national and local attention, with almost daily newspaper and TV news coverage. In May of that year, USA for Africa teamed up with Coca-Cola to sponsor Hands Across America to raise money for “fighting hunger and homelessness.” They had thousands of people hold hands for 15 minutes in cities across the nation. President Reagan joined in the hand holding from the White House, reportedly shamed into doing it by his daughter. There was a sense that homelessness—at least this new version of homelessness—could be cured.
Fishing at The Lee Bridge…
Photo from Visual and Vintage Virginia’s Facebook page:










